All-new fifth generation Lexus LS flagship sedan exhibits a coupe-like silhouette with the spaciousness of a luxury sedan
- Radical new design with a daring coupe-like silhouette
- Innovative styling, emotional driving and advanced technologies
- Newly developed 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 engine with 10-Speed Transmission
- 3.5-liter V6 Multi Stage Hybrid System on LS 500h
- Lexus Safety System+ and other advanced safety technologies
United Arab Emirates, Dubai, November 14, 2017: Al-Futtaim Motors, leader in sustainable mobility since 2008 and exclusive distributor of Lexus in the UAE, announced, from its Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) exclusive stand at the Dubai International Motor Show, the launch of all-new Lexus LS, the fifth-generation of the original luxury disruptor, that has set benchmarks for powertrain smoothness, ride quietness, craftsmanship, attention to detail, documented dependability and long-term quality for the past 28 years.
In addition to styling that combines a daring coupe-like silhouette with ample interior space, the new fifth-generation LS offers an emotional driving experience as it comes equipped with numerous cutting-edge technologies, and the newly developed Lexus Multi Stage hybrid system similar to the LC 500h luxury coupe.
Following the 'Yet' philosophy that has been passed on since the first-generation LS, Lexus created a design offering the room and comfort of a prestige sedan, yet with the stylish silhouette of a four-door coupe that holds stronger appeal for younger luxury customers.
Chris Buxton, Managing Director of Lexus at Al-Futtaim Motors commented: “Since its initial launch in 1989, the LS has earned a reputation for smooth and powerful performance, as well as exceptional quietness and comfort. It has won praise by anticipating what luxury customers would want, rather than simply amplifying what established luxury automobile brands offered at the time. This is the car that not only started the Lexus brand in the world, but also introduced the Lexus HEV to the UAE. Now in its fifth generation, the all-new LS is completely reimagined and will once again surprise customers by resetting expectations for a global flagship sedan”.
A Flagship Reborn
To create the all-new LS, Lexus took the approach of starting from new, reimagining what a flagship sedan should be, as if launching the brand all over again. The goal was not only to improve on what Lexus has done, but to exceed expectations of global luxury customers.
Omotenashi, the concept of Japanese hospitality, remains a common thread going through all LS models. Applied to the LS, it means taking care of the driver and passengers, anticipating their needs, attending to their comfort and helping to protect them from hazards.
Daring Coupe-like Exterior
Lexus designers didn’t hold back when giving the all new LS its coupe-like silhouette and dramatic rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille, which now comes with a unique texture that appears to change under different lights, a result of intense CAD development and carefully adjusting thousands of individual surfaces.
Longer and lower than the sedan it replaces, Lexus, for the first time, equipped the available air suspension with an access function. Activated by unlocking the car with the smart key, access mode automatically raises the vehicle and opens the seat bolsters to welcome drivers behind the wheel.
Furthermore, the 2018 LS debuts a new 19-inch wheel design and three 20-inch wheel designs, two of which are also new, and feature run-flat tires designed to elevate vehicle and ride comfort. The 20-inch premium wheels employ a brilliant appearance created using an electroplating technique known as sputtering. All the new wheel designs feature a hollow rim structure that helps reduce resonant sounds generated by the tires.
The LS is available in 13 distinctive exterior colors, including two new developed colors; Manganese Luster and Sonic Agate, which represent boldness, luminosity, and sophistication, to let customers express their individuality. On the other hand, the interior comes in a total of eight color schemes with five choices in interior trim.
Progressive Comfort with Traditional Inspiration
Creating a new standard of flagship luxury is not simply a matter of adding more features. Staying true to Lexus’s promise of Omotenashi, Lexus sought to instill the new LS cabin with luxury that welcomes and envelops the occupants while treating the driver like a partner.
New seating designs, including available 28-way power front seats that feature cooling and massage have been created to emphasize the driver's ability to operate all systems without the need to change posture. While making the new LS even more of a driver's car, Lexus also lavished attention to the rear seats, which comes with cooling, and massage options. The seat behind the front passenger can be reclined up to 48 degrees, and raised up to 24 degrees to help assist the rear-seat passenger in exiting the vehicle.
The organically shaped dash design clusters information displays at a uniform height to support the ‘seat-in-control’ layout that emphasizes the driver’s ability to operate all systems without changing body posture. In addition to a 12.3-inch navigation display, the LS can be fitted with an optional 24-inch color head-up display (HUD) – the largest in the world – that projects a variety of key vehicle information and performance data into the driver’s forward line of vision.
The infotainment system has a more inviting graphic user interface and is controlled using the next generation of Lexus’ Remote Touch control system. The intuitive operation is designed to mirror the way a smartphone is used; it can also recognize ‘handwritten’ commands ― outline letters traced using a finger on the touchpad.
Lexus has designed the LS cabin for utterly quiet cruising, with new sound suppression methods used to further hush the environment compared to previous LS models. Active Noise Control quiets the cabin by detecting the sound of the engine coming into the vehicle and canceling specific frequencies, using antiphase sound from the audio speakers.
Lighting and attention to detail express a unique aesthetic in the LS. A new approach to creating trim elements turned to Japanese culture, combining traditional Japanese aesthetic with advanced manufacturing techniques. This is reflected in signature touches, such as beautiful interior ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns and armrests that appear to float next to the door panel. The interior trim also combines natural woodwork and application of Japan’s sophisticated sliced wood and laser cutting technologies, which can be seen on the Shimamoku inspired wood patterns.
Another new feature of the flagship sedan is the state-of-the-art Cabin Climate Control System. The Lexus Climate Concierge is capable of intelligent automatic control by detecting the body temperatures of vehicle occupants. Unlike the previous models, which offered integrated control of heating and cooling to only the left and right rear seats, the new LS features infrared sensors that measure body surface temperatures in the front seats, to provide the most comfortable interior climate conditions for each vehicle occupant.
Additionally, the 2018 LS adds the convenience of a hands-free power backdoor – a foot-operated system that can be used when the user’s hands or arms are full, such as when carrying goods. Placing or kicking up one of your feet toward a sensor beneath the rear bumper cover opens or closes the electrically actuated backdoor.
V6 and 10-Speed Transmission: Enhanced Performance and Smoother Ride
Along with inheriting the LS DNA for quietness and comfort, an emotional driving experience was pursued through efforts to improve steering responsiveness and stability, to achieve a comfortable driving operation rhythm and produce a soft acceleration sound.
A new driver-centric performance feel comes from building the LS on the company's all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA-L). This premium rear-wheel drive platform, an extended version of the one used for the stunning new Lexus LC 500 coupe, offers a more dynamic experience on the road while further elevating renowned Lexus comfort.
The new LS is available in three engine options:
- A state-of-the-art 3.5-liter V6 Multi Stage Hybrid System
- A 3.5-liter V6 naturally aspirated Atkinson-cycle
- And a newly developed 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 engine.
With high-level output and environmental performance in mind, these engines were selected as powertrains suitable for a flagship sedan.
The 2018 LS Hybrid takes an entirely different approach than the previous LS Hybrid model. The new Multi Stage Hybrid System combines a naturally aspirated Atkinson-cycle 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine with two electric motors/generators and uses a compact, lightweight lithium-ion battery. The combined system output of the internal combustion engine with the electric traction system is 354 hp.
The new system is based on the electronically controlled Continuously Variable Planetary (CVP) transmission of Lexus Hybrid Synergy Drive, coupled with an all-new four-speed automatic gearset at the output stage. The two systems work together to expand the overall range of gearing and increase operation of the V6 engine across a wider speed range than previous hybrids. The result is impressive fuel economy, low emissions, and excellent on-road performance that will satisfy even the most demanding driving enthusiast.
The driver is able to tailor powertrain response and feel by choosing from Normal to Sport to Sport+ modes, and just enough of the exhaust note can be heard to enhance the sporty feel.
The first-ever 10-speed automatic transmission for a luxury sedan, having already debuted in the Lexus LC 500, is also used in the new LS flagship sedan.
Shifting via paddles is available, yet many will prefer the advanced electronic control system, which anticipates the driver's input. The system chooses the ideal ratio by monitoring the acceleration, braking and lateral-g forces.
In creating the new LS, engineers used lightweight materials including ultra-high tensile steel sheet and aluminum to carve over 200 pounds from the current LS platform and body. These savings, along with the implementation of the new V6 engine and enhanced body rigidity, allow for a more dynamic driving experience.
The Sounds of Near Silence―or Great Music
Lexus tuned the LS exhaust to convey a more authoritative tone, yet also designed the cabin to ensure utterly quiet cruising. New sound suppression methods further hush the environment compared to previous LS models. Active Noise Control further quiets the cabin by detecting the sound of the engine coming into the vehicle and cancelling certain frequencies using antiphase sound from the audio speakers.
The serenity of the LS cabin provides an ideal stage for the standard premium audio system or the audiophile-worthy available 3D surround Mark Levinson audio package with in-ceiling array speakers. The package features a more inviting graphic user interface. Its next-generation remote touch is designed to mimic smartphone operation. In addition to its 12.3-inch wide navigation display, the LS can incorporate an optional large color heads-up display (HUD) that projects a variety of information onto the driver's forward view.
Top runner in advanced safety technologies
The new sedan’s safety features are developed based on Lexus’ Integrated Safety Management Concept to make each driver better. The concept focuses on analyzing and optimizing safety technologies for four main causes of traffic fatalities: accidents related to pedestrians, vehicle departures from roads, intersections, and rear-end collisions.
The all-new Lexus LS is designed to be the top runner in advanced safety technologies. The car provides world-class safety technology through the advanced Lexus Safety System+, which integrates active safety technologies, such as the Pre-Collision System (PCS), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System (DRCC), Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), and Automatic High Beam (AHS) to reduce traffic fatalities.
- Pre-Collision System (PCS): Utilizing a camera and a millimeter wave radar sensor, the available PCS detects other vehicles or (depending on the region) pedestrians in front of the vehicle. If the system judges that there is a possibility of a collision, a warning is activated so that the driver may perform evasive maneuvers. If the driver cannot depress the brake pedal for any reason, the system automatically activates the pre-collision brakes.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System (DRCC): In addition to maintaining a set cruising speed, the DRCC also has a vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode.
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA): LKA alerts the driver with a sensory alert using steering wheel vibration or a buzzer and on the multi-information display if the system judges that the vehicle is about to cross the lane markings without using the turn signals, and assists steering to help avoid lane departure.
- Adaptive High-beam System (AHS): When the system detects a vehicle within the area illuminated by the high beams, it partially blocks light from the high-beam headlamps and automatically optimizes the light distribution so that they don’t directly project onto a preceding or oncoming vehicle. In this way, it helps providing the driver with good visibility by illuminating road signs and other objects in front of the vehicle, without dazzling other vehicles.
- Along with the high-strength cabin, up to 14 Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags are available to enhance occupant protection. Of the driver and passenger dual-stage airbags available, there are seat knee airbags for both the driver and passenger, curtain shield airbags, front side airbags, rear seat cushion airbags, and rear seat side airbags. Seat cushion airbags are available for the first time in Lexus models on both the left and right rear seats. An SRS curtain shield airbag that covers the front and rear seats has also been provided. The airbag is designed so that when deployed it also covers the upper part of the door trim in both the front and rear seats for additional collision protection.
- Pop-up hood system: A four-point pop-up hood system has been adopted, supporting the engine hood by two points each in the front and rear. The hood will pop up in the event of a frontal collision with a pedestrian, helping enhance pedestrian protection.
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM): Employing a quasi-millimeter wave radar installed on the back of the vehicle, BSM can detect a vehicle present in adjacent lanes as well as a vehicle traveling at high speeds approaching into the driver’s blind spot, which then prompts the system to activate an LED warning indicator in the relevant door mirror the moment a vehicle enters this blind spot.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA): To assist safe reversing, RCTA uses quasi-millimeter-wave radars in the rear bumper to detect approaching vehicles in difficult-to-see areas behind the vehicle. When an approaching vehicle is detected, RCTA alerts the driver using a buzzer and an LED indicator in the relevant door mirror.
- Multi-weather lights are a Lexus-first feature that supports the driver when driving in foggy conditions at night. This system reduces glare by lowering the low beam light focus to minimize light scattering. The cornering lamps are also turned on at 70% brightness to provide supplemental illumination directly in front and to the sides of the vehicle.
- Panoramic View Monitor (PVM): Video that provides the driver with an image of the vehicle as if viewed from above is displayed on the 12.3-inch EMV (Electro Multi-Vision) display. It helps the driver checking conditions around the vehicle that are difficult to see in real time. While the Side Clearance View helps the driver to check safe clearance on the side of the vehicle, Cornering View aids the driver to check clearance when turning left or right on a narrow road. When the Side Clearance View is active, the Cornering View is automatically displayed in response to steering operation.
The all-new LS is available across all Lexus showrooms by Al-Futtaim Motors in the UAE starting from AED 310,000.