- Mobility Conference to be hosted by Nicki Shields, Formula E TV Presenter
- Expert panelists to represent Dubai Supreme Council of Energy, Siemens, Nissan and others
- Masdar City and Bloomberg New Energy Finance to launch report on technologies for future smart city transit
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, January 8, 2018: The World Future Energy Summit (WFES) 2018 will include the inaugural edition of the Mobility Conference, organisers of the annual event announced today. Held January 18 at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, the Mobility Conference will feature a series of specialist sessions on low emission vehicles, underlining their growing importance in the UAE and around the Middle East.
WFES is a foremost global platform dedicated to innovation and digitalization trends driving transformation in the global energy mix, and the Mobility Conference represents significant developments in the local and regional clean mobility sector.
In collaboration with Global EVRT and CleanTechnica, leading figures in the mobility industry will come together at WFES in Abu Dhabi for a full-day conference on the 18th January, to accelerate EV adoption and discuss what it will take to make the UAE and GCC a leading electric vehicle market.
As well as high-level discussions on the barriers, enablers and subsequent opportunities for the market to accelerate and take off, a variety of electric vehicles and the Electric Vehicle Road Trip Middle East will be officially launched from the World Future Energy Summit.
The conference will also include various other important launches, including a Masdar City / Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) market report collaboration on “Technologies for Future Smart City Transit”.
Sivagnanam, President of Nissan Middle East and Regional Vice President Marketing and Sales for Africa, the Middle East and India, said: “We are excited to be a part of an important event such as the Mobility Conference and discuss the challenges we need to tackle in the region to successfully adopt low emission vehicles. Through our participation, we will offer our expertise as the global leader in electric vehicles and share insight on Nissan’s Intelligent Mobility strategy – a vision that is tackling key global social issues, such as energy usage and climate change.”
Ben Pullen, Founder and MD of Global Electric Vehicle Road Trip (Global EVRT), Co-organisers of the event said, “As Founder of the Global EVRT, I’ve seen how perception has rapidly changed in many corners of the globe over the last three years, and how EVs are being embraced strategically and no longer an afterthought. I'm proud to host such a great event and thrilled to be back in the Middle East to see cleaner transport beginning to really thrive across its cities.”
Since its inception in 2015, Global EVRT’s fleet of electric vehicles have travelled over 12,500km across 15 countries in Europe and the Middle East, empowering people to make the right choices about clean transportation, new energy and sustainable living.
The conference will address how recent government initiatives in the UAE make the market here one of the most promising in the GCC, in light of the demand for EV car sales expected to take of in 2018. Moreover, the conference will answer the questions around how to build on the last 12 months of activity from government and industry and scale from niche to mainstream.
Nicki Shields, internationally acclaimed TV presenter and science communicator, is confirmed to host the conference. Nicki can be seen on a number of channels including BBC, ITV, CNN, and is currently presenter and pit-lane reporter for FIA Formula E. She commented: “With my involvement in Formula E over the last 4 years, I have seen how perception has changed all around the world and now EVs are being embraced. I'm proud to be part of this fantastic mobility event in such an exciting region in the world, and it feels great to be part of one of the biggest movements the auto industry has seen.”
Delegates at the conference will hear from a number of leading speakers from business, the media, government and the public sector, including:
- Host: Nicki Shields - Scientist & Presenter at Formula E and CNN
- Taher Diab - Senior Director for Strategy & Planning at Dubai Supreme Council of Energy
- Nissan – Senior representative
- Mohamed Jama Mohamed - Project Manager for Abu Dhabi Low Emission Vehicle Strategy at Abu Dhabi Department of Transport
- Sam Alawiye - Chief Executive Officer at GreenParking
- Len Hunt, President of the Automotive Division at Al Futtaim
- Fares Al Mazrooei - Co-Founder and Managing Director of Volt
- Adrian White - Director Partnership Marketing at InterContinental Hotel Group
- Steve Severance - Head of Programme Management at Masdar City
- Zachary Shahan - Managing Director of CleanTechnica
- Vilhelm Hedberg - Chief Executive Officer at eKar
- Klaus Theml - Head of Intelligent Traffic System at Siemens
- Laure Alazet - Business New Developer at Engie
- Gary West - Urban Active Operations Manager at General Motors
- Mohamed Hamdy - Venture Capital at Dubai Future Foundation
- Raji Hattar -Chief Sustainability & Compliance Officer at Aramex
Key topics, sessions and interactive discussions will include:
- From niche to mainstream: What are the challenges and opportunities for mass low emission vehicle adoption in the UAE?
- The launch of BNEF’s report on “Technologies for Future Smart City Transit”
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure: What is the best fit for the UAE and GCC?
- Innovations in Connected, Autonomous, Shared, and Electric Vehicles
During the afternoon three focused e-Mobility Workshops will explore key challenges and opportunities for the industry:
- Charging Infrastructure
- Customer Experience
- Building the Business Case for Electric Vehicles