International event Open Dairies returns on Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 September, a weekend discovering the world of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese with many events, guided tours and tastings
Dubai, UAE; July 11, 2018 - Foodies, food enthusiasts and families visiting Italy in September will have a unique opportunity to experience first-hand the production of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese at the new edition of Open Dairies that will take place on Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 September, 2018 at Reggio Emilia, Parma, Italy. This Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) cheese is made only from raw milk, rennet and salt in a specific area of origin (provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Mantua on the right bank of the Po river and Bologna on the left side of the Reno river), following artisan methods specified in the Production Regulation agreed by EU.
This time over 50 producers will open the doors of their dairies to visitors so they can witness the birth of Parmigiano Reggiano, walk through the fascinating maturation rooms, and buy the cheese directly from the people who produce it. A real journey through time discovering this artisanal production method, which has remained almost unchanged for over nine centuries. The cheese was recently crowned by Ipsos as “the most influential PDO brand among Italians.”
Taking part in Open Dairies has become even easier thanks to the www.parmigianoreggiano.it website. By accessing the relevant section in the website, with just a few clicks you can view the list of participating dairies, and check the opening hours and scheduled events. Visitors from all over Italy, and the rest of the world, will find various suggestions for organizing their stay in the area of origin comprising the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna and Mantua.
Open Dairies is an opportunity to discover that Parmigiano Reggiano is not only good, it’s also good for you. This is because of the traditional “recipe” developed by Benedictine and Cistercian monks in the 12th century, which to this day uses only three ingredients: raw milk, rennet and salt.
The result is a cheese consisting of only 30% water, with the remaining 70% made up of nutrients, and very rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. The total absence of chemical additives and preservatives make it high digestible, absolutely natural and, above all, delicious.
Due to these characteristics, Parmigiano Reggiano is an essential food in everyone’s diet, from children to the elderly, including athletes, who get a fully natural energy boost from Parmigiano Reggiano. Thanks to its production process, the King of Cheeses is also naturally lactose-free just 48 hours after being made, as all its sugar (lactose) is transformed into lactic acid by lactic bacteria.
At the same time as Open Dairies, the Parmigiano Reggiano Consortium will open its gates to all those wishing to visit the historical dairy, taste Parmigiano Reggiano, and take a journey through time at the exhibition of historical tools.