Put your freshest foot forward this September with India Gate’s delicious and nutritious recipes - perfect for school lunchboxes
SEPTEMBER 2022, Dubai, UAE: With summer break over, the busy back-to-school period tends to become hectic for kids and parents alike – uniforms, stationary items, books, extra curriculars, meals – it just never ends.
India Gate, the renowned basmati rice brand is here to help you worry less about one of the most important aspects of going back to school – lunchbox meals. They are the backbone of a typical day at school and should be packed with nutritional goodness, to help your children power through the day.
See below a curated list of recipes that can be easily prepared with the help of India Gate’s wide range of healthy products including Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Quinoa, & Brown basmati rice. These recipes are not just full of essential nutrients but will also satiate your children’s taste buds.
Baked Orange Chicken with India Gate Brown Rice
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 ¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup India Gate Brown Basmati rice
• Zest and juice of 2 navel oranges
• Kosher salt
• Four 6-ounce boneless chicken thighs
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
• 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown and soft, about 5 minutes.
• Add the onions, chicken broth, rice, 1/4 cup of the orange juice, 2 teaspoons of the orange zest, 1 tablespoon of oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a 2-quart baking dish and stir to combine.
• Toss the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Nestle the chicken into the rice mixture. Cover the dish with foil and transfer it to the oven, being careful not to spill.
• Bake for 55 minutes. Remove the foil and drizzle the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the orange juice. Continue to bake until most of the liquid has been absorbed, the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is tender, about 50 minutes more.
• Drizzle the chicken with the remaining orange juice. Sprinkle the mint, pine nuts and desired amount of remaining orange zest over the dish and serve.
• Serve up and enjoy!
Veg India Gate Quinoa Frankie
• 1 cup India Gate Quinoa
• 1 onion
• 2 bell peppers
• 400g of black beans, rinsed and drained
• 400g diced tomatoes, drained
• 8 tortilla wraps
• 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
• Shredded yellow, mozzarella cheese and sour cream
• Sauté the thinly sliced onion and bell pepper with taco seasoning over medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
• Mix India Gate Quinoa with beans, diced tomatoes and remaining taco seasoning. Stir well.
• Place the quinoa mixture with sauteed onion and the peppers along with both cheeses on to the tortilla. Roll up, while tucking both sides.
• Tip: Serve with a sour cream dip.
India Gate Flaxseed Oatmeal Cookies
• 1 cup canola
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
• 1 cup oatmeal
• ½ cup India Gate Flaxseed
• ½ tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 cups carob chips
• 1 ½ cups almonds, chopped
• Cream canola and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
• Mix together flour, oatmeal, India Gate flaxseed, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir into creamed mixture. Add carob chips and almonds. Mix until blended.
• Form into 1 inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Bake at 350º Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
• Cater to your child’s sweet tooth.
India Gate Quinoa with Roasted Vegetable & Grilled Halloumi
• 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
• 2 medium zucchinis sliced
• 2 bell peppers (yellow and red), sliced
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
• ½ cup mushrooms
• 6-8 whole clove garlic, peeled
• 3 ½ tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
• 1 cup India Gate Quinoa
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 250g pack halloumi cheese, cut into 6 slices
• Preheat oven to 180-200°C.
• On a large roasting pan, put onion, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, and garlic. Drizzle with 1½ tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle the thyme on top and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
• Roast them in the oven until vegetables are softened or for 35-40 minutes. Grill the mushrooms separately.
• Cook the quinoa with vegetable stock according to package instructions and cool completely.
• Mix the remaining olive oil with the balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard in a bowl until they are well combined.
• Grilled the halloumi cheese till they turn golden brown on both the sides.
• Pour the dressing over the quinoa and vegetables and toss to combine. Serve warm with halloumi cheese.
• Re-energise your child with this wholesome meal.
The India Gate health range products can be purchased from any of the leading super and hypermarkets in the UAE.